On June 26th, the Supreme Court of the United States decided to reinstate the Muslim Ban in part. “Muslim 3.0” went into effect 72 hours later on June 29th at 8 pm EST for nationals from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. According to the Supreme Court ruling, individuals who can demonstrate a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the U.S. will not be affected by the ban. In addition, the US refugee program is suspended for 120 days unless an applicant can evidence a “bona fide relationship” with a person or entity in the United States.
Below are a few resources regarding implementation and analysis of Muslim Ban 3.0 and suggestions on how to resist. For more information, please see our new page “SCOTUS & Muslim Ban” for updates.
- Department of State cable implementing travel ban ruling: Highlights, Penn State Law’s Center for Immigrants’ Rights Clinic, June 29, 2017.
- Practice Alert: DHS and DOS Implementation of Executive Order Imposing Travel and Refugee Ban, American Immigration Lawyers Association (Updated June 26, 2017)
- DHS Frequently Asked Questions on Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States
Tell Your Story:
- Amnesty International is collecting personal narratives to remind people and legislators of the human cost of this disgraceful and hateful Muslim Ban.
- Muslim Advocates is asking people to share any stories of clients, friends, or anyone you know who was subjected to a discriminatory border search. They are especially interested in learning about questioning or searches that seem to be driven by a perception of religion, race, or national origin; questioning about religious affiliation or opinions; and electronic device and social media password requests.
- Support the Dulles Justice Coalition, You can sign up to volunteer and if you are an overseas lawyer or if your firm has offices overseas that are willing to assist, please contact email@example.com.
- Amnesty International provides a #NoBanNoWall messaging toolkit with video, graphics, posters and social media samples